Agent Orange

I suppose you have all noticed that there is orange crud that is deposited onto the boats at BMC.   I have an opinion about where it derives, but the purpose of this discussion is just to tell you a moderately inexpensive way to wash it off.

I have been asked about this by more than one owner and keep forgetting to share.

The expensive way is to use On & Off from West Marine (~$15.99/quart).  Use 1/3 of a bottle to about 1 gallon of water.  Brush in onto the orange.  Wait 2 to 3 minutes.  Hose it off.  The orange will be gone.

Less expensive:  Buy a gallon of Muriatic Acid at Lowes (hydrochloric acid).  Dilute it 1 cup to 1 gallon water.  Then follow the directions above for On & Off. i.e. yes you dilute it again: about 1/3 quart to 1 gallon of water.  [Just be careful with the concentrated Muriatic when making the dilution at home.  It is 10 Molar and will produce acid burns  to you skin.]

Narlin

Replies to this Topic

Thanks for sharing. We tried the muriatic acid solution and it works great!  The bigger question is, where does it come from and what can BMC do to prevent it?

You must be logged in and a member of this Groupsite in order to post a reply to this topic.
To post a reply, contact your group manager(s) Join this Groupsite

Baltimore City Yacht Association